Fruit skewers are a delightful and easy way to serve a variety of fruits in a charming and bite-sized manner. Whether you’re hosting a shower, birthday party, barbecue, or any other gathering, these darling fruit skewers are the ultimate crowd-pleasers. As an event planner and caterer, I can vouch for their versatility and appeal. In this blog post, we’ll explore the beauty and convenience of fruit skewers, share tips and tricks, and discuss the fruits that work best for this delightful treat.
Skewers for Every Occasion:
Skewering foods together has been a traditional way to serve hors d’oeuvres, and fruit skewers are no exception. Not only are they visually appealing, but they also make it easy for guests to enjoy individual servings without any fuss. Whether it’s a casual backyard gathering or an elegant affair, fruit skewers fit perfectly into any event’s theme and atmosphere.
Unleash Your Creativity:
One of the best things about fruit skewers is that you can have endless fun with them. You can create beautiful displays using fruits you have on hand or arrange them in vibrant patterns like rainbows for St. Patrick’s Day or themed shapes using cookie cutters. Imagine the delight of your guests when they see Fourth of July Fruit Skewers, Christmas Fruit Skewers, or Valentine’s Fruit Skewers!
Tips and Tricks:
While you don’t necessarily need a recipe to make fruit kabobs, having some tips and tricks up your sleeve can take them from good to amazing. Here are a few pointers to ensure your fruit skewers are a hit:
Choosing the Right Skewers:
You can use smaller metal, wood, or bamboo sticks known as cocktail sticks or olive picks. These can usually be found in the aisles of your grocery store or near the liquor section. Alternatively, larger skewers from the grilling section work well too.
Getting the Fruit Selection Right: Just about any fruit works well for fruit skewers.
- Berries- raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries are always a hit.
- Grapes- Green, red, or black seedless (slice in half if serving to small children.)
- Melons- honeydew, cantaloupe, and watermelon. Cut in square chunks or use a melon baller to make them round.
- Bananas- If soaked in citrus and served the same day to prevent browning, Bananas are a delicious addition, but they brown quickly. To use bananas chill with the peel, then peel, cut into chunks, and add just before serving.
- Apples- Any variety, if soaked in citrus and served the same day.
- Pears- Any variety, if soaked in citrus and served the same day.
- Peaches- If soaked in citrus and served the same day. They are great for grilling too.
- Pineapple- Also great for grilling and holds up well to dicing and slicing.
- Mandarin Oranges- Loved by kids and adults alike, hold up well when served this way.
- Kiwi- Best if served the same day.
- Mango- Mango slices up great and is also good for grilling.
- Dragonfruit- So cute when cubed! It’s a gorgeous white or red color with tiny black seeds. Holds up well when slicing.
- Starfruit- A beautiful yellow color, this tropical fruit is gorgeous when sliced into the signature star shape. Holds up well to slicing but is best eaten the same day.
Involving Kids in the Process:
Fruit skewers are not only a delicious treat but also a fun activity for kids. They can help thread the sticks and even assist in making the accompanying dips. It’s a great way to engage them in the kitchen and get them excited about healthy eating.
Elevating the Experience:
To take your fruit skewers to the next level, consider adding a touch of indulgence. Drizzle them with melted chocolate or serve them with fruit dips, peanut butter fruit dip, raspberry sauce, strawberry sauce, chocolate sauce, yogurt, whipped cream, or even fondue. These additions add a touch of decadence and make your fruit skewers even more irresistible.
Fruit skewers are the perfect addition to any occasion, bringing freshness, color, and a sense of fun to your table. They are easy to prepare, offer personal servings, and cater to the preferences of both kids and adults. So, the next time you’re planning an event, don’t forget to incorporate these darling fruit skewers. Your guests will be oohing and aahing over your clever display of fruit kabobs, and you’ll be thrilled to see everyone enjoying this healthy and delightful treat.